Frequently Asked Questions

How do I make a report about a child I am worried about?

If a person believes that a child may be in need of protection because of child abuse or neglect, they are required to report their concerns to a child welfare agency.

To make a report, call our Intake Services at 204-726-6030 or toll free (in MB) at 1-800-483-8980. The toll free number is also our emergency services number, available 24-hours-a-day-7-days-a-week after general office hours which are Mondays through Fridays from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Is Child and Family Services of Western Manitoba a government agency?

Child and Family Services of Western Manitoba (CFS of Western Manitoba) is a private, community based, non-government, non-profit organization in existence since 1899. We are part of the Child and Family Services General Authority which includes private agencies like our own as well as government regional operations. The mandate of the Agency to provide services comes from the Manitoba Child and Family Services Act, the Manitoba Adoption Act, and the CFS Authorities Act. The majority of our funding for mandated protective services is provided by the Provincial Government through the General Child and Family Services Authority. Funding for our family strengthening programs however is provided by public, private, individual, corporate and community donors as well as Foundations, grants and sponsorships.

How can I become involved to help CFS of Western Manitoba?

There are many ways that community members can become involved with the work of CFS of Western Manitoba:

  • Become a member by purchasing a membership for either one or three years. As a member, you have a voice at our annual general meetings and can let your name stand for nomination as a Board of Directors member.
  • Become a volunteer and work with people in a variety of roles within our family strengthening programs and services throughout our Family Resource Centre and childcare facilities.
  • Become a foster parent and play a very important role in a child’s future. When children are unable to remain in their homes, we need community members who are willing to open their hearts and their homes to these children.
  • Make a financial donation towards our family strengthening programs to keep them operating. While CFS of Western Manitoba is provincially funded for mandated protection services, we rely on public, private, corporate and community support as well as grants, sponsorships and Foundations to operate our family strengthening programs, programs which we believe can lead to fewer families in need of protective services.

    How do I make a complaint about the service I received?

    Given the nature of child welfare work, there are occasions when clients are not satisfied with their response from the Agency. In those cases, we encourage you to pursue the internal appeal process. Initially, we hope you will raise your concerns directly with your social worker. If you continue to be dissatisfied, then speak with the worker’s supervisor, who will guide you through the Internal Appeal Process.

    External sources of Appeal include:

    What area of the province does CFS of Western Manitoba cover?

    CFS of Western Manitoba serves an area of about 12,000 square miles in southwestern Manitoba, reaching a population of approximately 180,000. Our main office, Family Resource Centre, Family and Community Development Centre, preschool, day care and group homes are all located in Brandon. We also have offices in Killarney, Melita, Souris, Minnedosa, Neepawa and Virden, and social workers in another nine rural communities and their surrounding areas.